Monday 4 June 2012

Haro haro ajinomoto! My Kawaii Gyaru Moment 1

Yerp. That's right. That's me. And that's my sister's friend, Anna Shahira in the reflection of the mirror in my room. We (Yvonne, Anna & I) attempted the kawaii gyaru look for a photo contest. It was organized by Ringo Tan (aka Cheesie of Cheeserland.com) & NHK Japan. This was late last year and my skin was still a little bit okay then. (I am a chronic acne sufferer ever since I was 12 years old, so when I say that my skin is a little bit okay, it means that it has fewer pimples & less angry skin. Why the angry skin? As years go by and you have to resort to stronger acne medication whether oral or topical or both; if you are as 'lucky' as me, you might end up with hyper sensitive skin that gets inflamed easily, allergic to all sorts of allergens, break out in rash easily & stings whenever you get under the sun. Even for one second.) Okay. So we didn't get through and we woke up really early and did so many preparations for this photoshoot. And it was super hot because it was already noon. But the photos were worth it. And the time spent was fun fun fun! 

In the contest, they specifically wanted a before & after picture. The contestants are judged based on their ability to transform themselves into a Kawaii Gyaru ('kawaii' means adorable/cute in Japanese and 'gyaru' means girl) by means of makeup, styling & poses. This is a classic blowfish face pose. I think it's supposed to be cute because full, plump cheeks resembles a cute baby's cheeks. Or perhaps a nice, ripe peach. I don't know. Personally, I find this look very funny & not cute at all (please don't shoot me) but oh well, if you can't beat 'em, you join 'em. 
Photos by Yvonne Chong & Anna Shahira.


No comments:

Post a Comment