Tuesday 3 July 2012

1st July 2012

Every year on my birthday, ever since I turned 21, I either celebrated it working on stage or due to some very strange reasons, spring cleaning my room. The best birthday celebration I could remember was when I turned 15, and after much begging (and sulking) I managed to get my parents to throw me a lavish birthday party at the Hyatt Kota Kinabalu. I still smile when I look at the pictures of that birthday party as I felt on top of the world, super Miss Popular and I wore what I thought was the coolest outfit I could think of, which was a pair of baggy blue jeans (not Levi's), black Dr Cardin shoes that looked like boots (I couldn't afford Dr Martens at the time) and a cream colored top that looked like a Chinese samfoo by SEED. I also had slightly longish Aaron Kwok inspired hair. Bluek.

Anyway, this year's birthday taught me one very important lesson : Always be alert and be aware of your surroundings. To walk with care & concentration. Look before you tread. 

Why? 

Because yours truly had walked right into a huge LONGKANG while on a business trip to Sitiawan. The drain was waist deep and I had just WALKED.INTO.IT.WITHOUT.LOOKING.
I was too engrossed by some silly sign of job vacancy when the initial plan was to get me a birthday cake of some sort.

And from this experience it also taught me another very important thing : better be safe than sorry.
I had both ankles & calves X-rayed at the UH and had trouble limping around. When I was in the wheelchair for the 2nd time in my life, I was trying to wheel myself and imagine how it would feel to be physically impaired. I don't mean this as a joke, or trying to be rude or insensitive in any way, but I was trying to see if I could cope and function in a wheelchair. The other patients laughed at me as I was trying to do a wheelie and spun round & round in the wheelchair after discovering how to turn left and right. The first thing I exclaimed to Fabian was "Look! I can drive!" 

I know I know. 

Thank God nothing was broken and all I have are painful scratches and some painful bruises turning purple as we speak. I bandaged both legs to aid my walking as I still limp and I massage analgesic cream every night before I sleep. 

Last but not least, the most important thing I have learnt in my years of living :

GREAT HEALTH IS THE BEST WEALTH.

Take good care of yourselves out there okay? Walk with focus and awareness. 
And don't text & drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment