Friday 27 April 2012

The Colour Yellow

I developed a great liking for the colour yellow after living in Thailand for 6 years. Thailand is a colourful & fun country. And the colour yellow represents something really important to the people from the Land of Smiles. It is not just a sunshiny, citrusy feel good colour, it represents their King & what they believe in strongly. Which is not up to me to elaborate further as I am not Thai but living there made me feel like one somehow because I embraced their culture. I tried to understand their religion. I even tried meditating. I could even understand the sermons from the Thai monks, which made me realise that my fluency in the Thai language is probably better than I thought. In many ways I feel like I am Thai because I love the food, the culture, the fashion, the language, the lifestyle but I am and will forever be a Malaysian. 


But what I am truly proud of, in spite of what is happening right now with our country, is that I am a Sabahan. A Sino Kadazan from Kg. Mook, Kinarut, Papar.


The colour yellow. 


I have a yellow keyboard that I am really proud of. I bought her from Singapore, painstakingly carried her in the newly purchased keyboard bag to house her in while my friend did the same with her brand new semi acoustic guitar. Her name is Banana as I affectionately call her but her proper name is Saffron. Fuyo. She is like a sports car, even her model number sounds like one. Korg M50. A hybrid of the Korg M3 and Korg X50. 
Pardon the keyboard speak ahem.


Anyway. I know this sounds pretty keluar tajuk but what I am trying to babble about here is regarding the walk that is going to take place at 2pm later today at the Dataran Merdeka. There are 6 different meeting points, KLCC, Masjid India, Brickfields, Pasar Seni, Jalan Sultan and Masjid Negara. 
I am not for politics at all but last year I registered myself as a voter because I came to realise that I could help make a change. Somehow. I am the type of person that will not put myself out there in danger for no reason because I have my family. But I am going to follow my boyfriend and his mates to join the walk for Bersih 3.0 tomorrow. 


Wah. So patriotic suddenly. 


I think all of us do have some sort of patriotism in us. It's whether we choose to acknowledge it or not.
We will pack our little slingbags with salt, water & change of clothes. I don't have anything yellow to wear for tomorrow and I don't think it is a good idea to carry Banana there either. I don't want her to get wet which will get her spoiled and it's too damn heavy to protest with her just to prove a point. Initially I just wanted to stay home and pray for the rest who will participate in the rally and read the updates from facebook.


But no. This time I will muster whatever courage I have and grow a pair of balls. 


God. Please watch over us and protect us. Please help us make that change without any lives lost & unnecessary violence. If only I could get some dandelions and make a big big wish and then blow them dandelions so that their dusts can fly into the air and reach the stars and the gods above will listen to us. And help us make our dreams for a better Malaysia come true.


Sekian, terima kasih.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment